Saturday, August 22, 2015

A Peek at My Week

Hi! I thought that I would share what my week will look like this year.  Not surprisingly, over the course of this first week, there were some minor changes but nothing too big! I am so lucky to have only 10 third graders this year.  To me that means lots of small(er) group and individual instruction opportunities!  This is going to be a great year for my students and for me!  This week, we spent most of our time practicing the routines that we will use for each of our subject areas and for things like entering the classroom, walking through the hallways, and turning in work.  I think I have a pretty good schedule set. Although we are required to teach Religion first thing in the morning (I would prefer to teach Religion in the afternoon), I think I have a good amount of time for the other subject areas. Below is my weekly schedule:


I plan to use 20/80 (20% whole group 80% small group) for both Math and Language Arts this year.  I am also going to try to use this model at least 2 days a week for Science and Social Studies.

Check out some of these pictures of Science small group practice from this week:

Hands on "Observation Station"

Fact Finder station

Vocabulary Sort Station

Yesterday marked our first full week of school and so far, my students have been rocking the small groups! I have loved the enthusiasm and authentic learning that I have seen.  I look forward to starting our first unit in the Treasure's reading series, Numbers to 10,000 in Singapore Math, and learning about rocks and minerals next week!

I hope everyone is having wonderful first days of school and if you haven't started school yet, enjoy your last days of summer!

Caitlin

No comments:

Post a Comment